Do you seek enlightenment in art? Then look away; you'll find no polemics here. My art is only a wink at the human comedy. I deal in petty struggles dressed up for the stage, a caravan of painted trivialities mirroring common joys and griefs.

I am an illustrator and printmaker working in linoleum. Being prone to indecision but detesting uncertainty, I have found that the best medicine is a medium in which there is no back-pedaling. What I carve is there to stay. As in life, I can only move forward, and mistakes cannot be dwelt upon for more than a day.

In 2014, I began illustrating the poetry of (my now husband) Craig Kurtz. Inspired by the comedies of the great playwrights Fletcher, Jonson, Middleton, Molière, and Shakespeare, Kurtz's poems are characterized by light-hearted satire with a soft spot for all he satirizes. His work is set in olden days, and this has given me a range of costumes, sets and props to pull from to denote different temperaments, circumstances, and attitudes.

My work has begun to feel like a theater; it has thrived on a diet of operatic rogues and hapless honest folk. The problems these characters face are timeless-- relationships, ambition, money problems, substance abuse, idealism, and superstition. These struggles are no less petty in old times, but the pettiness has a humorous edge that is harder to see in the here and now. In removing a situation a few degrees from our own time, I am able to render it with more sympathy and mirth.

I do not portray the vast movements of the world at large, nor do I wish to trivialize them or their importance. I simply seek to render the caprice of human nature, in the hopes that the viewer will smile not only at the work, but at their neighbor the next time they see it embodied. In Kurtz's words,

“When money's short and dangers lurk
that's when comedians find work;
when kingdoms discount how to laugh
the king needs a fool on his staff.”